There is a lot about a damp and wet basement that you should be worried about. It is common for people not to think much of the humidity in the air, or the musty smell, even though they should. Should you do nothing, the walls, floor, foundation, and property will get damaged. Then there is the problem of mold and mildew growth.
When you leave the house in that state, your family shall start showing signs of respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. If you do not see anything strange in the basement, do not convince yourself it is safe, as long as it is damp. The best way to be certain is to hire a professional mold inspection and removal service.
You can tell of mold presence when you see a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. There are other indicators, such as a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. This is why you need to call in the experts to do the testing. A test shall let you know what to do next. You are better off not finding any than assuming there is none.
Mold testing will detect their presence, as well as point out how extensive their spread is, the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. The professionals will look at all problem areas and take samples. They will also take samples of the air for detection of spores. They shall also collect the air samples in other areas of the house. Those samples shall be taken to the lab for inspection. They shall give you a thorough report indicating what kind of problems you are facing.
You shall get mold removal services once they determine there is mold present in the house. They shall do so quickly, before the mold spreads any further. They will begin by sealing off the contaminated areas. They will next spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If they find items that are too contaminated, they will have to get rid of them.
It is important to take steps to get rid of the mold in your house. You also need to make sure you put preventative measures in place, to avoid another growth. This calls for ensuring the basement is moisture free, and the house is well ventilated. Should you see any signs of mold in the house, do not hesitate to call in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.